Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

WinterCity Design

For the designblitz assignment of week 6 the suggestion was to carry around a camera during the week and to take photographs of designed examples around. I tried and succeeded on two days of this week. Though I felt somewhat limited in my skills to take photographs while carrying bags or having a cloudy day or not being able to carry around my good camera which is too heavy. I like eleven of the pictures I was able to take.

ColoredBuildingsColorBehindSnowflakesSecretMessage1SecretMessage2MinimalEuropeASadMinimal
TriangleColorRhythmLanternRhythmSculptureRhythmSidewalkRhythmUndergroundTypography



 With these photographs I tried to catch some of the following elements of design:

  • color
  • typography
  • metaphors/symbols
  • minimalism & use of space
  • form/function/message
  • balance
  • rhythm
  • proportion
  • dominance
  • unity


  • I mainly were attentive to rhythm:

    Part of a poster on a column.

    Stones arranged into a sidewalk.
     
    A sculpture.

    A streetcar station.


    Other pictures for different design elements are:

    minimalism:

    Here someone imagines Europe in the future and adds symbols for presumed agrees, constitutions and peace treaties.

    A sad Graffiti on a staircase.


    color:

    Colored Houses.

    Colorful lights bhind glass and snowflakes.


    typography:
    Design of a Subway station.


    secret messages:
    Maybe this contains a message which I can not decipher because I have not enough information.

    These messages you can find all over the city, who knows what they mean.



    Learning about design was interesting to me, because I could add to my knowledge I have collected as a fine artist and story illustrator. Design items seem to be more neatly put together and are more often signs and symbols and letters, which may be a naïve view to design. It is just a quality I realized concerning design this week. I may be able to express this more accurately in some time.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment